John Goffe’s Mill – Pewter Ornament




John Goffe’s Mill was built in 1744 by Squire John Goffe’s grandson, Major John, rebuilt in 1834 by his grandson, Theodore, following a fire. The unusually heavy flood in the spring of 1909 caused the mill to collapse, and the mill was abandoned and the buildings on the lands were leased for farming. In 1939 another descendant, Dr. George Woodbury, returned to the ancestral home. The lot consisted of a wooded lot, a vacated house and the crumbling ruins of the old mill on Bowman’s Brook. Dr. Woodbury restored the mill, operated it through the 1940’s and 1950’s turning out stone ground flour and pine furniture.

The ornament measures 2-7/8″ wide X 2-1/2″ tall.

Additional information